Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Sign-posting: Who am I and where are we going?

Every once in awhile, I come across a book I should have written. The book is always nonfiction (I have a tough time with fiction and I love documentaries; however, I also closely follow Gossip Girl and that show couldn't be further from reality - so I do, in fact, have an imagination) and the topic is always one close to my heart or experience. Why didn't I publish the book first?

Oh, that's right - I don't write regularly. Or share my writing. I need to start.

Not that I'm aiming to write a book, here. No, no, no. I just don't want people to keep stealing my ideas from my brain. They can steal them from my blog!

The story of how I found myself on Blogger today is long-ish with boring details, so I'll spare you. I will say, though, that it was a book that I should have written that inspired me - who knew that there were so many lifelong vegetarians who entered the meat-eating world in adulthood with no clue on how to prepare flesh for consumption? That's me! And apparently it's also someone else who happens to have a book agent!

This blog won't (just) be about becoming an omnivore. Rather, I hope to share my adventures in food: cooking, eating, reading. I'm no gourmand; in fact, I'm just getting over a break-up and have recently re-incorporated solid food into my diet. I lived for two weeks on low-fat chocolate milk (so healthy!). The food that I'm now eating barely constitutes "food." However, I'm sure there are people out there like me, who don't want to feel alone in calling a fistful of dry spaghetti "dinner."

So, maybe this blog will feature a little "cooking for one" in it!

Despite my current dietary habits and associated food-neuroses, I do love to cook food. And eat food. And think about food. And grow food. I even teach children about food, in a garden setting. Food gives us life and can make us happy! I know it makes me happy. There's nothing like bison steaks from the Missoula farmer's market, or Thai scallops from Truluck's, or my Great-grandma Selma's Butter Riches recipe...or dry Ramen. That makes me happy, too. Oddly. What's my problem with boiling water? Gah, not that hard, BPDubs.

Anyway, I hope you'll join me. I set a place at the table for you - but you have to bring the beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment